1. reliance on the integrity, strength, ability, surety, etc., of a person or thing; confidence.
2. confident expectation of something; hope.
3. confidence in the certainty of future payment for property or goods received; credit: to sell merchandise on trust.
4. a person on whom or thing on which one relies:
5. the condition of one to whom something has been entrusted.
Trust is a four-letter-word! Trust. Either given freely, without hesitation. Or, withheld completely. When given, trust is to be cherished, like a rare gem. When trust is broken, it leaves an indelible mark. Like a fracture in the earth’s soil. As if to say, something happened here that cannot be undone.
There are only a few people to whom my trust has been given. Completely. Freely. To whom I have come to rely on. Who have shown great integrity and strength. In whom all ability I am sure of. There are only a few who have broken that trust, tossing it aside like a stone and leaving an indelible mark on my fractured heart.
My confidence, in you, is shattered. Who, now, will be the source of my strength?
– J. Ela